Now here’s a soup that will get you through the day. Feel free to experiment with your vegetable choices, and adapt this soup recipe to whatever produce you have on hand in your fridge.
1-2 tbsp extra extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Half inch of fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1 leek, sliced
1⁄4 of fennel bulb, cut into chunks
1 stalk of celery, chopped
1-1 1⁄2 cabbage, shredded
1⁄2 cup of red lentils
4-6 cups of water, broth or stock
Cilantro or parsley, finely chopped
Black pepper (optional, to taste)
1. Heat oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot.
2. Add garlic, ginger, leek, fennel, celery and cabbage. Cook for 1 minute.
3. Add lentils and water, broth or stock. Bring to a boil, then cover tightly and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Turn off the heat and allow it to cool for a few minutes.
5. Blend and return to the pot. Stir in cilantro/parsley. Add pepper if desired.